Monday, April 13, 2015

the smell of epoxy

I love the smell of epoxy glue. Nostalgia?

I remember my mother taking out the two tubes, folding up a piece of tinfoil to make a disposable plate of sorts, using a wooden chopstick, saved from Chinese takeout, and mixing equal parts of the gooey substances. I remember one clearer, one more yellow.

The chemical smell was strong but soothing, warm even. Some people like the smell of gasoline (I don't), so I cannot be completely alone here.

I have rediscovered a range of epoxys, say, one to fix a broken cement gargoyle. That one combined a light grey goo with a black one, but it smelled just the same.

I am looking for more things to repair now, with what seems like the ultimate in household glues, or at least which was such when I was a kid.

Good on you, epoxy.

I'll be sure not to sniff too much.

No comments: